Friday, January 26, 2007

Queen of Substitution

Ann Mahle on cooking aboard a windjammer:

"My mom calls me the queen of substitution. In my cookbook At Home, At Sea: Recipes from the galley of the Maine Windjammer J. & E. Riggin, I include many recipes that allow for variation and substitution. I’ve had to develop this skill AND it’s come naturally to me. While we are out sailing each week during the summer, it’s not as if I can stop by the local grocery store on my way to the galley to pick up the last few items I need to complete a recipe. “If we don’t have it, we don’t need it,” is our motto. So I’ve had to be creative and not worry when even a key ingredient is missing. Okay, if we are having turkey dinner and the turkey is missing, I worry."

Taken from the latest "Cooking With Annie" newsletter.

No comments: